Property Tax Protest Deadline: May 15! It’s easy and could save you lots of money!

Property Tax Protest Deadline: May 15!
Protesting takes just a few minutes and can save you money

Want to protest, but unsure how?
Travis County offers step-by-step instructions here

Don’t let the deadlines pass you by, as they are unforgiving! Protesting can be done online, via mail, or in person. You can also have a third-party company protest for you. If you have questions about your property taxes, appraisals, protests, or exemptions, you can call Travis County Appraisal District at 512-834-9138. You can also visit their site for more information.

Why Protest?
Property taxes are based on the appraised value of your home. If your appraised value is higher than what your home is actually worth, you will pay more in property taxes than you would otherwise. Protesting allows you to point out any errors and possibly reduce your tax bill.

Options for Protesting
You have several options for filing a protest, but it’s not something you want to wait and do until the last minute! Here’s how you can file:

File a Protest Online (Suggested): This is the easiest and fastest way to initiate and manage your protest. By filing online, you will receive an immediate confirmation that your protest has been filed. Additionally, you will be able to upload comments and evidence related to your protest, review evidence from the appraisal district, and accept/decline any settlement offer. Typically you receive a settlement offer quickly that you can accept or set up a meeting with appraisers. More info and detailed instructions here.

Outsource to a Third-Party: Feel unsure on how to protest? Third-party companies will file a protest on your behalf. They often charge a flat fee or a percentage of what they save you off your tax bill. Major companies in the area include Texas Protax and Five Stone.

File a Protest via Mail/In Person: If you prefer, you can mail your protest in or deliver it in person. Your property appraisal that was mailed to you will included a “Property Owner’s Notice of Protest” that you can fill out. Addresses are available here.

If you have questions or Milwood specific thoughts – feel free to email

This entry was posted in Milwood News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *