On Thu September 20 at 7 PM, CapMetro will hold a public workshop at the Sustainable Neighborhoods meeting for a high capacity public transit plan covering all of North Austin from downtown to Georgetown, and from Mopac to SH 130. See http://connectcentraltexas.com/northcorridor/ for details on the planning area.
North Central Austin falls squarely in that zone, with some outstanding questions including:
– Should CapMetro site a commuter rail station at Burnet – 183 on the existing Leander to downtown red line, as was recently proposed
– Should there be a commuter rail station on the Mopac Lone Star line at Anderson Ln
– What is the optimum route for a proposed light rail line (the current proposal is downtown to Mueller, but downtown up N Lamar has a number of supporters)
– Should there be a rapid bus line running from Airport, up Anderson, across Mopac, down Jollyville Rd
– Will the above questions change the locations of rapid bus stations currently planned on Burnet (at Ohlen, Northcross, Koenig and North Loop)
– How much new housing would need to be zoned to support each transportation option
– How much of the housing would be affordable and oriented towards families with children, thereby preserving our area’s existing diverse demographic mix
– What would be the cost and timeline for any changes
Come on out and participate in this intriguing conversation with the CapMetro planners who are making decisions that will greatly affect the future of our community. It is from 7 to 8:30 PM at the Village Christian Apartments rec center, 7925 Rockwood Ln. Please see specific instructions on parking here.